Theoretical Essay Question:
Theoretical essays will be successful to the extent that they:
- Demonstrate understanding of the course material.
- Clearly express an idea (or ideas) in the material.
- Present a well-reasoned argument relating to the idea(s) in the material.
- Critically evaluate the idea(s) in the material, as well as the author’s own argument.
- Think of your essay as an extended reading response. Identify a point, explain why it matters, introduce an objection/clarification/interesting application, then give a critical analysis of your contribution.
- Avoid doing research outside of the course materials. Use the optional readings to get a different perspective on an issue.
- This question is deliberately vague. You will need to use your analytic skills to make them more precise.
Word Count: 2000